Anirudh specialises in general corporate legal practice encompassing foreign investments, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, bank financings and other kinds of commercial matters.
He regularly advises growth stage startups on contractual and legal aspects of day to day commercial and business operations. Apart from helping businesses and entrepreneurs efficiently contract with their customers and counterparts, he also advises on dispute management and resolution.
Anirudh has spent most of his career in the Singapore office of O’Melveny & Myers, a leading multinational law firm, advising clients on their India investment and divestment strategies. Prior to that, he worked with Nishith Desai Associates in Mumbai.
Anirudh’s select prior transactions include:
• Represented Lok Capital, a private equity fund focused on the Indian micro-finance industry in its fund raise and private equity transactions.
• Advised on the Snapdeal - Fashiate technology acquisition.
• Advised on a Series A investment by Sequoia into a Flyrobe, a fashion e-commerce company.
• Advising a TERI entity on IP protection strategy and business contracts.
• Advising Edukart, a e-commerce venture in the education space, on commercial contracting and legal and regulatory structuring of businesses operations.
• Advised Deutsche Bank in its restructuring of US$365 million debentures issued by a leading Indian real-estate company and related derivative transactions with several international hedge funds;
• Represented Corel Corporation in the asset purchase of an Indian software company;
• Represented Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan and SBI Capital Markets in the US$1.7 billion further public offerings of Power Grid Corporation of India;
• Represented Merill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, ICICI Securities and JM Financial as international counsel in further public offerings of Power Finance Corporation of India (US$1 billion/ Deal of the Year - India Business Journal);
• Represented Government of India as international counsel in its disinvestment from the power sector in the US$1.8 billion further public offerings of NTPC Limited;
• Advising various start-ups regarding outbound expansion and setting up overseas base in tax/ regulatory friendly jurisdictions like Singapore.
• Represented a Singaporean shipping company with pan-Asian assets in raising PE investment by an Indonesian-focussed private equity firm and associated corporate restructuring;
• Assisted in the global assessment of privacy risks for an advanced spying and surveillance (phone) application and drafting of EULA/Privacy Policies for over ten jurisdictions
Anirudh is the author of a book titled “Cyber Law: Law of Information Technology and Internet” published by LexisNexis. He also publishes regularly with the Huffington Post. A skilful negotiator, Anirudh has trained in advanced negotiation and deal-making at the Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School and trained post-graduate law students in Singapore in negotiation as faculty of the Singapore Institute of Legal Education. He mentors startups and speaks often at various fora such as IIT-Delhi and Ashoka University.